ShareThis

December 6, 2011

Caroline Miller Design

Caroline's work is quirky, kinda whacky and just plain fun! We love having her, her good vibes and great jewels at the show. Her ability to merge materials together into unique art jewellery compositions definitely sets her apart from others in her field. She is always expanding her visual vocabulary by pushing her skills as a metalsmith to the next level, thus keeping her and her followers engaged in her work.



Of her work, Caroline says, "Although essentially a jeweller, I consider myself foremost a metalsmith. Traditional techniques of metalsmithing evolved over generations form the basis of my work and what I aim to do with them is create pieces that hold a meaning as particular as the individual that will wear them. 

My work revolves around two distinct techniques - forging and construction. Along with my love of construction, I am progressing my interest in making modern forms and sculpture by traditional methods such as; raising, repousse and blacksmithing. These pieces range from small intricate constructed jewellery to larger copper hollow vessels. I am interested in exploring all creative avenues between these points in metal.

The materials I use are primarily malleable metals: silver, gold, copper and steel.  However, I like to meet the precious with the non-precious and I also use plastics such as formica and plexiglass.  Additionally, I often incorporate semi-precious stones with found materials and cast components are a frequent feature of my work. Many of my pieces have a narrative, where others are simply aesthetic and classic in style. In one sense my work is a microscopic study of the world we live in and in another it is simply part of the world we live in."

No comments:

Post a Comment