ShareThis

December 3, 2013

10 Questions with Sabrina Butterfly O'Donnell


Let's meet Sabrina Butterfly O'Donnell, Owner + Designer of Sabrina Butterfly Designs.


 When did you start your art practice?

 Summer of 1998, a year after I received a dipolma in Fashion Design from UCFV (now the University of the Fraser Valley) in Abbotsford , BC.That summer I sold my wares at two festivals: the North Country Fair in Joussard, Ab and at the Jasper Folk Festival.The Fall of that year, I made my first clothing collection and sold it at Uncommon Thredz, located in Historic Clayburn Village in Abbotsford, BC. I worked there and sold my collection for 3 years at this boutique. In 2001 I headed back to Edmonton and became a traveling store. Selling at markets, festivals, craft shows, stores, pop up hall sales and even from my home. In 2007, I opened my own boutique which became the home for my clothing line and many other designers, locally and beyond!



What is your creative process like? Where do you draw your inspiration from?

My inspiration is drawn from past and present clothing silhouttes and details.
Fabric is also my main inspiration. Finding fantastic fabric ignites my creative energy.My collection also has some key/staple pieces that I repeat patterns with each season.I make all my own patterns and usually use my body as my main template for the initial fit. 



How has your art practice evolved over the years?

Comfort and Fit have always been a key focus. Working with natural, breathable fabrics that move with your body through out your day.My first collection included a lot of dresses, skirts and blouses, they were loose fitting and catered to plus size customer. My collection today has a huge focus on pants, which are my best selling items, and my size ranges from 4-16. 



Describe what you will be bringing to SFM this year.

Naturally Comfortable Women's clothing. Made from cotton, linen, rayon, wool, hemp, bamboo and silk blends.Pants, tops, skirts, dresses, sweaters and cardigans. Ranging in size xs-xl (4-16). 

How many years have you participated in SFM?

It's my first year!!
I have know about it since it began in 2003 but this is the first year I was invited and able to attend! 

What's new this year for SFM?

Everything will be new for SFM. But I am hoping to showcase some of my most popular designs. My staple pieces that I use in my collection, that you can wear year round. 



What's your favourite thing about the SFM show?

The unique blend of creative talent, with a strong focus on a solid curation of quality goods.




Who are your favourite artists?

I LOVE so many of the artists work that attend the SFM shows. Amazing!

Also I LOVE all the artists I carry at my boutique, they have become my favorites too! Too many to list! 




What are you listening to in your studio?

Lisa Hannigan + John Smith 

What other creative outlets do you enjoy?

Aromatherapy, making my own body products +  gardening.

Stay in touch with Sabrina:


https://twitter.com/sabrinabutterfl
http://instagram.com/sabrinabutterfl
https://www.facebook.com/sabrinabutterflydesigns
http://www.sabrinabutterflydesigns.ca/
http://www.sabrinabutterflydesigns.blogspot.ca/
contact email: sbdesigns@shaw.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment