ShareThis

September 24, 2013

Ten Questions with Caroline Miller



Hey, let's get to know Caroline Miller of Caroline Miller Design



When did you start your art practice?

I have always been interested in art, body adornment and accessories.
As a small child I hardly went anywhere without a purse and  some plastic jewellery draped around my neck. 
Throughout grade school art was always my favourite subject, this developed into a more tactile appretiation after highschool when I travelled overseas touring famous art galleries and selling  hand woven  jewellery on the streets and beaches of Europe.



What is your creative process like? Where do you draw your inspiration from?

The creative process in my head is like having a lot of excited people in a small space (I'm not saying my head is a small space), each trying to yell above one another and be heard. When this happens, I quickly chicken scratch sketches and notes into my book as fast as possible, it can happen at any given moment. 
These days I draw my inspiration from cities; the people, languages, fashion, culture, poverty, riches, colors, food, music, night life, architecture, art, etc. This spring I visited New York and Toronto, I filled lots of pages in my sketch book on those visits.



How has your art practice evolved over the years?
My art practice has evolved into all things metal. I have studied other mediums like ceramics and photography I seem to have settled on metal for now. I have always worked on a small scale, recently I have started to learn how to weld and make larger sculptures out of steel.




Describe what you make. 
I make jewellery and small wearable objects made of metal, plastics, found objects and gemstones. Most of my designs are limited edition,  I have a short attention span and don't enjoy making the same thing over and over again.



How many years have you participated in SFM?
I have been a part of SFM for 5 years.

What's new for this year's SFM? 
Crumpled metal.

What's your favourite part about the SFM show? 
My favourite part of the SFM show is trading and buying the other vendors amazing work!



Who are your favourite artists? 
Alexander Calder, Damien Hirst and the Futurists.

What are you listening to in the studio? 
I listen to alot of podcasts, This American Life is my favourite right now.

What other creative outlets do you enjoy? 
Snowboarding, and tickling my daughters.

No comments:

Post a Comment